Remy's muses - Productivity at last!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blinded by the light

I just spent about a half an hour typing up a long and witty post that you all would love about our night and blogger ate it. Here goes round two but I've got to be honest I may have used up all my wit on the other one.

A couple of years ago Remy and I hosted a "Night of Darkness" with the YSA (young single adult) for 17 people. We started the night off with a buffet dinner, then a walk, recreated a closet and had them pick outfits depending on the occasion, played some blindfolded basketball, talked about some of the everyday problems that come up in our life, and ended with a described video. It was a blast and people talked about it for months after. We had such good feedback about it we thought it might be great to do it with the Young Men and Young Women of the church. We talked about it with the leaders at the time but didn't really hear anything. When Remy was called to Young Mens he brought the idea up again and plan were put in motion for it to happen.

When we first heard that we were going to be doing it again we started brainstorming ideas and making plans but with it so far in the future we didn't need to have anything set in stone.  A couple of days ago Remy reminded me that it was THIS Tuesday. Cue panic planning. Isn't that the way it goes though.

Tonight we went to the store to grab the snack. We hit the ice cream isle (I mean I'm sure they sell other things in that isle but let's be real) and the ice cream topping isle and were on our way to the check out. As we got closer to the check out I realized that I couldn't hold it anymore. I needed to find a bathroom ASAP! I asked a cashier where their bathroom was and she replied with "over there" well once I checked "over there" only to not find the bathroom I found another person and begged them for the secret location of their bathroom. He replied with detailed instructions and I ran across the store clenching my knees. I arrived only to find the women's bathroom door locked. Standing in front of the men's room with my back teeth floating about to burst into tears I had a light bulb moment. Yup I went into the men's bathroom and it was gross and glorious all at the same time.  I've heard of other women doing this during desperate time and now I can join the ranks.

We then rushed to the church and realized we were a bit late. I ran into the kitchen to do some prep work for the snack while Remy went into the other room to get the activity underway. We did a quick lesson about trust and then sent them on their way.
 
Our friend Kirsten lead them on a walk of zig zags and twists around the church while one person was blindfolded and the other person lead. They walked around the church once and then switched who did what. They seemed like they were having lots of fun and were talking and laughing.

Once everyone got back inside we talked to them a bit more and showed them braille, Remy's cane, and speech reading software.  We asked them if they had any questions and I was really happy that some people did ask. After our chat we had them line up blindfolded and serve themselves a sundae bar.
 
They had to serve their own ice cream and toppings. After they got their ice cream they went back into the room and listened to a described video (well that was the idea anyway we kind of had lost them by this point). We closed and then had as an option blindfolded basketball that some people came in and did. One young man actually made two out of the three baskets! I will so impressed.

It was a lot of work and a great night. I am glad we did it and hopefully someone got something out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment