Remy's muses - Productivity at last!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fat Bottom Girls

Sorry I haven't written in awhile. To be honest I went back and forth on writing about this particular topic. Once I decided that I would write it I wasn't sure whether to make it public or private. I struggled with whether people would make fun of me, pity me, laugh at me, or give me advice. After weighing the pros and cons I chose to write it and make it public for those struggling with the issue themselves. I want to share a part of my struggle with my weight. I know that I am not alone and many people have struggled and have far more inspirational stories than mine, but this is mine. It is going to be long, wordy, and I probably won't say half the stuff I wanted to say, but it's also going to be real.

My issue with weight has been a life-long struggle. I often wonder how much of it shaped me into the person I am. I think a lot of it did actually. I knew what it was like to be teased so I befriended those who were. I worked hard to be extra nice and caring so that people wouldn't want to tease me. I was embarrassed of my body and was a modest dresser.

Elementary: I loved to play outside. I was always outside roller blading, riding bikes, running around with the neighbour kids. We built forts, played games, went on adventures. I took dance classes. Most of my memories are of outside. Gym was a class of humiliation because even being as active as I was...I was still chubby. My gym teacher often would single me out in class making me feel terrible.

Middle school: As soon as sports were able I tried out. In 7th grade I tried out for basketball (and 8th). I had never played basketball in my life but I knew I wanted to play. Surprisingly enough I made a team. I was thrilled! I went to every practice and got to play in the games. The practices were tough and long and I loved them. Once basketball was finished I tried out for volleyball, although I didn't make it I was asked to be the team manager. I jumped at the chance. I went to every practice and was able to work out with the team. I even stopped eating lunch altogether. I was still fat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


High School: Cheerleading! How I love(d) cheerleading! Cheerleading made me feel alive. I loved everything about it, I still do. These practices were also tough we had to run a mile a day on top other cardio, we had to weight train three times a week. I did both seasons. Again I loved it. Still fat.

Fast Forward to awhile ago: I found out I had a gluten intolerance that could be affecting my weight and the ability to lose it. There was a flood of emotion that went through me, relief at knowing why, anger, grief. That began a long road that I still am on of eliminating it from my diet. I love (d) carbs. I naively thought that once I got rid of it I might start seeing a change. Nope. Last year I decided I was going to be healthier. I started measuring my portions, counting my calories, and going to the gym. I taped a piece of paper with everything in my fridge written and what size was a portion and how many calories. After about a month I was steadily gaining weight. Remy often found me in the bathroom crying. I had no idea what to do, how could I be working this hard and be gaining weight? I gave it a break for a while, I just couldn't handle it emotionally anymore.

Now: Here I am 23 and still chubby. I have tried tips and tricks, diets, and exercise programs. I don't know if I will ever be thin or even like the way my body looks but I am going to be a good person, a good friend, a good wife, a better daughter, and a good sister. I have a husband who loves and supports me, wonderful friends, and a crazy loving family. I am going to live a healthy life and see what happens. There are still going to be times where Remy finds me in the bathroom crying because of how I look, but I hope there will be less of those as I come to accept myself.

Usually I can't wait for people to read my post, to make comments to enjoy my writing. This time is different. This time this was for me.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea,
    I have also been one of those chubby girls and I don't have any words of wisdom or advice. All I know is that I feel your pain and one day when you least expect it, something will happen and you will see that the beautiful person you are will never be measured by the size of your waist or any body part. All that matters are the people who you surround yourself by. All the others just don't really matter.
    I hope that all is well with you and one day I would love to go for a coffee.
    I miss you and your contagious smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to put my name in the last post. It is Carol from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea,
    I just want to let you know I think you are absolutely beautiful (and sometimes i get really jealous and sad about how much prettier and nicer you are than me). I struggle with my self image as well...I think most people do. You have curves, so what?!
    Your countenance is so bright. You are so funny, and nice, and smart, and helpful, and caring, and crafty, and thoughtful, and artistic, and spiritual, and FUN....There are so many good qualities about you that i love. I love you so much and it hurts me that you would ever cry over your looks because Heavenly Father made you the beautiful person you are. I wish you could see yourself how I see you. Whenever I talk about you I ALWAYS talk about how much prettier you are and how I'm so lucky to have a sister like you.... anyways..I'm not telling you how to feel but please be nicer to my sister, she means a lot to me and I hate it when people make her cry.
    Love you chels,

    <3 Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember way back when , when all the statues and famous paintings were of curvacious sexy , beautiful large women? They were'nt air brushed, they were'nt photographed with the "right" lighting.they were natural and beautiful.
    That is what you are. Natural and beautiful. When you smile you light up the whole room. You are intelligent, caring, giving, creative. I could go on.
    I grew up slender for the most part of my life and still didnt like myself. Fluffy or skinny it's like the fine line between love and hate.Now I am 30 pounds heavier than what i was at full term pregnancy. My new motto is "if you can't suck it in, Tuck it in" The worlds image nowadays is all a bunch of hokey. What you see in magazines is all fake. It's all a ploy for money making schemes for complanies that live to make women and men for that matter think they are not good enough. We don't live up to thier movie star images.
    We are who we are. we look the way we look. We have to love ourselves for who we are.
    and we are beautiful strong loving women who are lucky enough to have so many people who love us. Not everyone is that lucky. So love yourself jsut the way you are.Because everyone else does. If you want a change, do it for you and do it at your own pace. Because at the end of the day you are the only one that matters.
    If you let your weight stress you out , it will win. So relax, forget about it.Focus on something else and before you know it, it may jsut start slipping away and you werent even trying. Although yes,eat healthy. Love from fluffy momma Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for you wonderful loving and supportive comments. As I read through each of these I truly feel loved. I am so lucky to have so many people love me and are on my side in this battle! Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Chelsea, I absolutely understand your pain, and share the struggle. I too am trying harder to love me today- not when i lose 50 pounds, or when I exercise"enough", or fit into size "X", just me...the way I am right now. I want that for you too. Let's work on that- eliminating negative chatter, and replacing it with self-love. When I wore a size 5 I didn't like my body- thought I was way too fat... and though my body has changed, my feelings about it haven't. Let's try and see all the wonderful things we are. You know I could write a book about your worth...you are so strong-physically strong. You are no pushover, and I have never seen you back down from a physical challenge. I remember you grumbling about running- but you did it anyway. I remember you getting injured, but you came back for more. I remember how determined you have always been to finish what you start. I love that. I love that you are making healthy choices and taking care of my daughters body. I love that you are sharing your struggle so that others can help support you. That is strength too. I love you and although sometimes you forget your worth,I never do. I am so grateful that out of all the mom's in the world I got to be your mom. I am so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chelsea, I don't know you, but I knew Remy when I worked for four summers at the Bowen camp. I too am gluten intolerant, love carbs, and feel that I weigh too much. I hate team sports, because I'm clumsy and can't always see the ball, but I love to cross country ski, hike and many other activities. I exercise every day. I also like food. I try to be careful how and what I eat, and I definitely avoid gluten because it makes me really sick, but I have come to the conclusion that I will always be larger than the models. Better healthy than too thin, and on my body, being model thin would be too thin.

    I don't have any magic solutions, but I do know how hard all of this is. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsea, I love you so much!! <3

    ReplyDelete