Remy's muses - Productivity at last!

Friday, November 11, 2011

I want to thank you

Today we take a moment to remember all of those men and women who have served and died for our country's freedoms.I recently found  some old writing of mine from when I was 12. I wrote a little bit and thought I'd share, I actually can't believe I'm doing this but Remy always complains he can't read any of my old writing so this is for him. It's a little cheesy, I'm pretty sure I was going through a phase, but it was heartfelt none-the-less. Also in the US we have Memorial Day is May and Veterans Day in November, I wrote this on Memorial Day but the idea behind it is the same.

"The day we stop and think. We may thin k it's a day off from work but there is much more to it.
the hustle and bustle of people getting their boats out that were locked up during the winter. Old friends coming to visit. Dogs running all about. Yet nobody seems to have time to stop and think. The American flag standing tall and high. Gentle waves greet the shore. The trees swaying back and fourth to the rhythm of the wind. Long conversations being exchanged. The gardener taking a well deserved break with some cool lemon-aid.  Nobody seem to be talking about the soldiers that risked it all. 
As all of these things are happening and my attention goes to my little brother, so tiny. He needs to know what happened and why we remember today. But who will be there to tell him? Maybe he will never learn. Maybe today will just be a day off for him. Sure he might learn it in school but that doesn't make as big of an impact as hearing it from someone who has been there and knows. Stories used to be shared but as time goes by the stories just don't get told."

My Papa was a vet and even received a medal for the time he served. He wasn't very open about the things he experienced during the war but he did share a couple of stories and I am so grateful he did. I am so thankful for the men and women that serve our country and the sacrifices them and their families make. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment