Remy's muses - Productivity at last!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cruisin Together

I just got back from my test and it was super duper stressful! Before I tell you about it I'll say I passed! We arrived at the office and I was super nervous. My tummy was in knots and  my heart racing so I breathed and tried to calm myself down. I was looking at the people behind the counter wondering which one was going to test me. Most of them looked relaxed and super nice. I was really excited that the majority looked so nice, I thought for sure my odds were good.

Nice one after one nice came and got the people around me. The old grumpy man with a scowl on his face was soon the only one left. Sure enough he came and said "Chelsea".  He was the one I saw and as soon as I saw him said I really hope I don't get him. I smiled and shook his hand and we made our way to the car. He said he would like me to get in the car and roll the window down. I asked if he would like me to do my pre-trip check first. He said "No, I would like you to do exactly what I said." Alright doing well!

As we pulled out he said "I will tell you every single turn you are going to make, if I don't say anything then keep going straight." Okay easy enough concept. We were driving along and he asked me to stay in the lane we were in, no problem. The lane turned into a turn lane so I very quickly thought...okay he told me he was going to tell me when we were going to turn and he didn't say anything but we are in a turn lane so I have to turn...while I was thinking this he said " Chelsea it's a turn lane you're going to have to turn. Get your thinking cap on! I am not your Mom I'm not going to tell you every little thing you have to do. This isn't practice this is a test. It's called a test for a reason."  Ummm...wow!

So we drove around for a bit and he asked me to do my parallel parking.  I left pretty confident about it so this part didn't worry me. I backed up and hit the curb I instantly thought, Oh crap! Then thought well I am just going to start again. I asked "is it okay if I just start over." "NO! We don't have time just fix it." I finished parking. As I pulled away he said, "You actually did a great job parallel parking."

We had me do all sort of maneuvers and driving and then brought us back into the ICBC parking lot. I was trying to hit the speed bumps where they were lowest because the truck is sooo big and you can feel every little bump. He then asked me to back up into a stall which I did the first time but being the perfectionist I am thought I could do better so I tried again, hit the curb, and then tried one last time.

He flipped out on me for driving in the middle of the "road" (parking lot). He asked me what I thinking to drive down the center of the road. I told him about the speed bumps and what I was thinking. He said "So you thought that would be a good reason to die." Um...I understand driving in the middle of the road normally would cause problems but at 20 kph in a parking lot...we probably weren't going to die.Then he freaked out about intersections. While I was driving I made sure to exaggerate my head motions for left and right but not as much for the center because I thought it would be obvious I would be looking in the center. Apparently it was not obvious. He spent a good while lecturing about that and how I might die. He did say I was a good driver, though. I was really surprised by that. Even though I passed with all his lecturing I was about to cry.

I am so glad my next test isn't for two more years! So in one months time I graduated, went to the temple, got sealed to Remy, and passed my driving test!  My good friend Kirsten is coming over tonight for some card making and some fun.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Chelsea, I am very impressed that you held it together. I probably would have start crying. I am so proud of you! Way to go on a busy month!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leah! I am glad I held it together too. I was so close to tears a few times.

    ReplyDelete