Remy's muses - Productivity at last!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

A long over-due update of sorts

Hey loyal followers, Remy here.

A couple of you have been asking what happened to this blog. Good question! It’s not like I haven’t had a lot of crap on my mind.

Let’s start with the biggest piece of breaking news, shall we? We’re not moving yet. Yep, you heard it right. Moving has officially been pushed back until perhaps February while Chelsea finishes her book keeping program at VIU. So I guess that means I’ll be doing my Digital Media class after all. That will certainly be an experience. I have to admit it’s kind of nice that a couple people are glad we’re staying. I hope that doesn’t make me selfish.

Now for something a little more somber. This is my last week of work. Hard to believe seven weeks has already gone past. I don’t feel like I accomplished nearly enough here. I’ve managed to write a few more articles which should be published very soon. I’m looking forward to that, both for my sake and for the farm’s. I won’t lie; the money has been nice too. It’s nice to feel like I’m not living from pay cheque to pay cheque. Of course it’ll mostly be going to our coming school semester, but for a brief moment, I can imagine that we’re doing well financially.

So much has changed around the farm since I’ve been here. The herbal healing garden has been completed and is now operational. It’s really nice. The main walkways are concrete for wheelchairs, and there are picnic tables with umbrellas dotted everywhere. The herb beds are raised to provide easy access, and there’s a rock garden with a fountain at the entrance. There are benches lining parts of the garden. They’ve got so many herbs I’m almost overwhelmed. They’ve really put a lot into it. Honestly my only regret with this job is that I haven’t really learned anything about herbs and spices and the like.

Two of our staff members resigned, one because of another job and the other for personal reasons. It’s certainly changed the atmosphere around here. I can’t quite explain it, but I do know Pauline (who I believe I mentioned) was someone I got along with quite well. It was unfortunate to se her go.

I’ve been working hard on this documentary for the last two weeks. Holy crap! I had no idea this was going to be so hard. I’ve done some interviews, but a few of the participants weren’t nearly forth-coming enough to be of much help. I did get a few great quotes though. This one guy Kevin had a stroke when he was sixteen. He suffered brain damage and was paralyzed. He was told he wasn’t ever going to walk again. Now he’s out here crushing rocks with a machine, gardening and doing other odd jobs. The man has an old movie quote for every situation. I got a lot of material from him. Almost too much. I find the documentary focuses on him too much. Maybe I’m doing way better than I think, I don’t know, but this thing seems to lack personality.

That brings me to a question. What the heck is wrong with my writing? It’s not that I can’t write well, I just can’t write much. I remember years ago when I was in my late teens and early twenties I constantly wrote. I have a two hundred page novel which is still sitting in my computer’s novels folder, uncomplete. I wrote a ton on that. Sure it needs work now. My writing has really grown since then, but I find myself sitting gazing at that insidious blinking cursor for ages, only to have a few paragraphs worth of material at the end of two hours … and that’s if I’m lucky! It’s like I have a mental block. The ideas are there, and they’re even pretty darn good I think, but they won’t appear in writing. I have a few projects going – a sci-fantasy, a fantasy, a sci-fi horror and a quirky comedic paranormal mystery. Each one of these have some pretty great ideas behind them. But it’s like writer’s block has become a sinister presence in my mind. If I write two paragraphs after three hours I consider that an accomplishment. So how the heck did I lose it? Better yet, what can I do about it? What’s the point of trying to be a writer if I can’t bloody write? If I didn’t have any ideas that would be one thing, but this is being unable to even put words down. I’ve tried that whole write for ten minutes thing, and I’ve tried outlining ideas. Each of these are great ideas, but when it comes to actually sitting down and writing the actual story it’s like there’s this mental block. I can feel it deep down in my chest, and clamping on my mind. Unfortunately it’s transferring itself to this documentary. I’ve got a whole three pages after three days. True, some of this is due to the fact that I have barely any idea what footage they’ve got, but the rest is all me.

I can write an entry like this fast. By no means is this even close to quality writing, but it’s writing. I’d rather be able to write a lot down, then edit, rather than write a little bit, edit it to great quality, then not be able to continue. I don’t need to be a speed writer. But is a page or so a day really so much to ask?

To end on a positive note though, while I haven’t been able to write much on it, the new story I’m working on is pretty awesome so far. Of course it’s only three pages, but they’re three good pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment